Actun Tunichil Muknal (ATM) cave is a hiking and adventurous experience, located in an areas known as the Mountain Tapir Reserve. The cave is ranked as one of the Top Ten Caves of The World by the National Geographic Society. Here you will find cultural artifacts just the way they were left by the Mayans hundreds of years ago. The ATM Cave is 1.5 hours from Belize City and 45 minutes nature hike which includes three stream crossings and acres of the Tapir Mountain Nature Reserve.
Degree of Difficulty:
Challenging: a good level of physical fitness
Required: ability to swim is a plus
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||San Pedro, Ambergris Caye|
|DEPARTURE TIME||We departure at 7:00 AM.|
|WHAT TO BRING||Good Hiking/Water Shoes (Tivas), Extra Clothing, Extra Socks, Water Pants and Shorts, Bug Spray and Sunscreen.|
7:00 Am. Departure
- We depart at San Pedro, Ambergris Caye Airstrip.
- Flight takes about 15 mins from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye to Belize Municipal Airport.
Belize City Arrival
- We have a light breakfast for about 20 minutes.
- We drive to the ATM Cave, we drive on the highway for 1 hour depending on the traffic and weather status, from there we change to another off road vehicle and drive for another 30 minutes of rough driving to the park.
- Upon arriving at the park we have access to the restroom and changing room, where we will be changing into our water sports clothing and prepare our gears such as helmets, lights and life vest.
- We hike for 45 minutes to the entrance of the Cave crossing rivers three times.
- Before we start hiking in the cave our guide will be inspecting your gears for safety purposes and also giving the full instructions where we ask our guest to listen carefully to our guides reasons being we take the regulations seriously for your safety.
- Our guides will be sharing the history of the site and also pointing out the different information existing inside the cave.
- The entire tour inside the cave takes 3 hours to complete, where you will seeing the remaining of pottery, bones, skulls and a remaining skeleton.
- After exiting the cave we have lunch.
- For our lunch we provide the Belize Traditional Rice and Beans with Stew Chicken dish.
- Also other dishes for vegetarians can be provided, if requested.
- Our Lunch duration is 45 minutes.
- We drive back to Belize City taking the same route and time duration.
- We arrive at the Municipal Airport boarding the 4:30 flight.
- We return back to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye at 4:45 PM.