Barton Creek Cave is part of a large riverine system and one of the longest subterranean sites in the country of Belize. Cultural remains, however, have only been found within the first kilometer from the downstream entrance. This kilometer long space contains ten ledges above the river with evidence of ancient Maya activity. The first ledge is located on the left just inside the entrance to the cave, and continues to roughly 30 meters beyond the Maya Bridge that straddles the river.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||San Pedro, Ambergris Caye|
|DEPARTURE TIME||We depart at 7:00 AM.|
|WHAT TO BRING||Water Shoes, Hiking Clothes, Bug Spray and Sunscreen.|
7:00 Am. Departure
- We depart at San Pedro, Ambergris Caye Airstrip.
- Flight takes about 15 mins from San Pedro, Ambergris Caye to Belize Municipal Airport.
Belize City Arrival
- We have a light breakfast for about 20 minutes.
- We drive to Barton Creek Cave , highway driving takes approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes depending on the traffic and weather status.
- From there we drive for another 20 minutes of rough driving.
- Upon arriving at the cave we have access to the restroom and we prepare our life vest, light and helmets to start our canoeing inside the cave
- Our guide will be sharing the history of the site and pointing out the different formations, pottery that are found inside the cave.
- The tour takes 1.5 hours to complete to explore the cave.
- Finishing our tour we have lunch.
- For our lunch we provide the Belize Traditional Rice and Beans with Stew Chicken dish.
- Also other dishes for vegetarians can be provided, if requested.
- Our Lunch duration is 45 minutes.
- We drive back to Belize City taking the same route and time duration.
- We arrive at the Municipal Airport boarding the 3:30 flight.
- We return back to San Pedro, Ambergris Caye at 3:45 PM.